This Red Lentil Chili is a Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili Recipe. Another great way to save money is to have at least one meal a week without any meat. Add some saltine crackers or tortilla chips to this dish and you won’t even miss the meat! I make this at least every other week. I love it.
Red Lentil Chili
- 12 dates or 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 pound red lentils
- 7 cups of water, divided
- 2 cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes (14.5 oz each)
- 1 can of salt-free tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 large chopped onion or 10 oz of frozen onion
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1½ tbsp of minced garlic
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp dried parsley
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- If using the dates, blend them in a high speed blender (like a Vitamix) or a food processor with one cup of the water until smooth.
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours
- Serve with saltines or tortilla chips
Adapted from Forks Over Knives.
Check out this recipe for Slow Cooker Beans.
Using a slow cooker for dinner recipes not only makes cooking easier, but it also saves money on your power bill by not using the oven. Check out these Slow Cooker Vegetarian recipes.